Integration of prevention into chronic
disease management models of care
Institute for Healthy Living and Chronic Disease Prevention, Research Interest Group Grant
“Working together differently is desired with stronger linkages between prevention and chronic disease management.”
Cristina Caperchione, Darlene Arsenault, Cathy Thibault, Leslie Bryant MacLean
The aim of this research was to understand how health services for the prevention of chronic disease (e.g., diabetes, high blood pressure) and those focused on managing chronic disease could be combined. A review of the literature, interviews, and focus groups were completed to understand the current state in the Interior Health geographic area as well as opportunities and challenges to combining these services. Study results include:
- Services are currently focused on chronic disease management
- Prevention services emphasize education
- Lack of communication within the health system and between the health system and community organizations
- Healthcare providers lack capacity for prevention (e.g., knowledge, skills, time, resources)
- Working together differently is desired with stronger linkages between prevention and chronic disease management
- Partnerships are needed to accomplish the same
- Support needed from high level healthcare managers and government
Project results will be used to support further work and research in this area
Reports, Presentations & Publications
Currie, L.N., Oelke, N.D., Bryant-MacLean, L. (2014). Integration of prevention into chronic disease management models of care. ePoster presentation at Connect 2014: Using Research to Improve Health Care – Change, Challenge and Opportunity in Knowledge Translation, Vancouver, BC (September 22, 2014).
Oelke, N.D., Clarotto, A., & Caperchione, C. (2014). Integrated primary prevention and chronic disease management models of care: Are they feasible? Poster presentation at the Canadian Health Services and Policy Research conference, Toronto, ON (May 12-15, 2014).
Oelke, N.D., Clarotto, A., & Currie, L. (2014). Taking prevention into the clinic: Directions for reforming primary care. Webinar presentation hosted by UBC’s Institute for Healthy Living and Chronic Disease Prevention, Kelowna, BC (March 13, 2014).
Colter, L., Oelke, N.D., Clarotto, A., Caperchione, C., Arsenault, D., Thibault, C., & Bryant-McLean, L. (2013). Integration of prevention into chronic disease management models of care. ePoster presented at Connect 2013: Health Services Research at Work: Using evidence to transform care. Vancouver, BC (September 16, 2013).